• Shop Amazon

  • Advertisements

When you Really Need Sleep

Oh what a weekend…

Happy Monday folks! Normally our weekends are fairly predictable with the time we go to bed and get up in the morning, but this past weekend was all over the place. I had a late night project deployment at work Friday night, which meant I got to sleep in on Friday morning and then use the afternoon to prepare. We kicked off all the deployment stuff at 10pm and around 1:15am I started getting that weird head pain / shaky body thing where you feel like you are about to fall asleep sitting up and face plant into your computer. I made myself a quick cup of coffee and that really helped. The first time I had to work late like this I drank 5 cups of coffee and spent the evening working and watching season 1 of Downton Abbey. Even though I was exhausted, by the time it was time to go to sleep at 6am, I couldn’t. This time I only drank the one cup… but by the time we were done and I was back in bed (3:15am) the coffee was in full force and it took another hour for me to finally doze off.

I managed to sleep until 8am when the neighbor’s dog started his first round of daily barking. What was great was that I rolled around in bed a bit trying to decide if I should get up or sleep a bit longer – when Ben came in with coffee and breakfast for me!! ❤

There wasn’t much time to linger and enjoy my breakfast in bed – we both had busy days planned. Saturday was Ben’s bachelor party and I was headed to Wausau to visit my buddy Jeff. So we did a quick tidy of the house and I was off driving and Ben was on his own for a few hours before the bachelor fun began.

I ended up being 15 minutes late meeting Jeff and was starving and ready for lunch. I dashed up the stairs of the restaurant, whipped open the first set of double doors, and screamed.


I know, he’s not that big – but as soon as I put my foot down to walk in, he slithered out right next to my foot and I almost died.

I am not good with reptiles of any size…

After I had sufficiently recovered, I was ready for lunch. I went with the chicken pot pie with cooked apples and beer bread.


From there we wandered around the mall and caught up on news. Our last stop has become a bit of a tradition – Starbucks! I was feeling tired from the drive and lack of sleep, so a venti white chocolate mocha for me!!


I got home around 5pm and wandered into the empty kitchen trying to figure out if I should make dinner or just take a nap, when I saw a sweet surprise from Ben:


A dozen red and white roses!! That guy makes me feel pretty lucky. I think I’ll keep him!

10 minutes later I got a text message that my girlfriend (whose hubby was at the bachelor party) was making dinner for us. OK – so I hopped into the car again and made my way over to her place for fajitas. A couple hours later another friend joined us and a surprise dessert was whipped out.


8pm and dead tired yet I still couldn’t say no to the ice cream sundae bar – in waffle cone bowls. Mmm!! There was caramel and fudge sauce, vanilla, chocolate fudge, and coffee ice cream, and delicious waffle bowls. We all seemed a bit tired so we brewed a pot of coffee too. Nothing like a sharp jolt of caffeine and sugar at 8pm.


But it was soooooo good.


Somehow the coffee gave me a second wind and I ended up hanging out with the girls until midnight. Crazy. I got home, rolled into bed, and woke up to the sounds of the guys talking in the driveway at 2:30. I waited for Ben to come upstairs so I could see if things went well and 20 minutes later ended up going to find him. They had gone disc golfing, then saw the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (shocked anyone?), then dinner, and the rest of the time they were at the outdoor patio of a bar listening to cover bands. Turns out everyone bought Ben drinks and shots… and he was a bit drunk when he got home. 🙂 He gave me a surprisingly coherent version of the night’s events, drank a large glass of water, and I tucked him back into bed at 3am. Another long night.

Needless to say, on Sunday we were both pretty wrecked. Neither of us had energy to do much of anything. Oddly enough, Ben wasn’t hung over – he was just exhausted.

My healthy breakfast:


I held off doing all my laundry (tonight’s job!) and we sat on the couch and floated in and out of sleep most of the day. Around dinnertime we determined we needed some kind of food in our bodies besides coffee, and I drove off to get us sub sandwiches.


Ben said he fell right to sleep last night but I somehow still tossed and turned for a good hour before dozing off. Somehow the more tired I am the less able I am to just quickly fall asleep. Weird, isn’t it?

Anyway, it was a fun-filled weekend but I think we’re both ready for a few mellow days to recover and get back on the normal sleep schedule again. We’re not getting any younger. 🙂


One Response

  1. Ahhh I want ice cream now!!! And I feel ya…I toss and turn when I’m exhausted!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: